Re: Any advantage of using SSL with a certificate of authority?

From: Robin <robinstc(at)live(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Any advantage of using SSL with a certificate of authority?
Date: 2013-11-26 20:16:45
Lists: pgsql-general

There is a downside to self-signed certificates.

1. A self-signed certificate can be issued by anybody, there is no way
of authenticating the issuer.
2. Distributing self-signed certificates becomes a pain - if signed by
a CA, its easy to lodge your public key where everybody can find it,
and knows where to look for it.
3. Maintenance becomes a problem

I only use self signed certs for testing.

Robin St.Clair