Re: I found it, I FOUND IT!!

From: "Dean(at)TMDT" <dean(at)tmdt(dot)com(dot)tw>
To: "Mayan" <escalante(at)canada(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I found it, I FOUND IT!!
Date: 2002-02-10 19:20:56
Lists: pgsql-general

>I'd like to start by apologizing for my last message, it was chopped
>off, badly written and incoherent, but you guys came through, for that I
>thank you. No more 19 hour workdays for me, I promise.
>OK, I found the '/etc/int.d', but there was no 'postgresql' subdirectory

I am not using Debian, but in Redhat, it will be only a script file "postgresql"
under /etc/init.d (link to /etc/rc.d/init.d); I don't know what it would be look like in Debian.

>under it; I created one and placed the start/stop script file in it;
>changed the file permission to '755'. After doing this, I created the
>link files:
>
>ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux /etc/rc0.d/K02postgresql
>ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux /etc/rc1.d/K02postgresql
>ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux /etc/rc2.d/K02postgresql
>ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux /etc/rc3.d/S98postgresql
>ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux /etc/rc4.d/S98postgresql
>ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux /etc/rc5.d/S98postgresql

I saw them in Redhat too, but only in /etc/rc3.d , because I use postgresql in run level3 only.

>However, after rebooting the machine, I still don't get postgresql
>starting at boot time. Can someone please tell me if I am missing
>something?
>I would assume that it's not running because psql is not a recognized
>command.

I think you should use command "ps ax | grep postmaster" for checking is
it running or not instead of recognizing via run the psql command directly ,
because it also can be caused by path's problem.

Best Regards'
Dean Lu