Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user

From: Steve Lane <slane(at)moyergroup(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date: 2003-06-11 20:48:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/11/03 10:39 AM, "Justin Clift" <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Tell him to test it with decent settings (try about 4000 for each as an
> initial start), and he'll find that a decently tuned PostgreSQL matches
> the speed of a MySQL installation with any table type. An in
> write-intensive applications, the MySQL server will always fall behind.
> _Especially_ as the number of simultaneous clients rises. MySQL falls
> behind, as does Oracle 8i a bit further on (not sure about 9i and 9iR2),
> and PostgreSQL keeps on performing at pretty much the same throughput
> for far higher numbers of client connections.
>
> And _that_, is for real.

Are there *any* recent benchmarks that show all this? The most recent ones I
can find are a couple of years old. Now, eWeek did run a database benchmark
some time in the last year, in which they compared a variety of commercial
engines and an OS engine. We can guess which was the open source db. MySQL
of course.

If anyone in the advocacy area wants to write to the eWeek author who did
the report, Timothy Dyck, it'd be good to push for a benchmark that includes
postgres. Of course, since we're all involved in advocacy in some way, I
could do it myself...

Anyway, original question ... Any recent benchmarks that show how postgres
performs against others, especially under load?

-- sgl

Steve Lane

Vice President
The Moyer Group
14 North Peoria St Suite 2H
Chicago, IL 60607

Voice: (312) 433-2421 Email: slane(at)moyergroup(dot)com
Fax: (312) 850-3930 Web: http://www.moyergroup.com