Re: Documentation improvement patch

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Oleg Sibiryakov <o(dot)sibiryakov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation improvement patch
Date: 2024-09-06 13:20:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 5 Sep 2024, at 11:33, Oleg Sibiryakov <o(dot)sibiryakov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
> I have prepared a patch containing some minor inconsistencies in the documentation. Please, take a look.
> The inconsistencies were noticed by: Ekaterina Kiryanova, Elena Indrupskaya, Maxim Yablokov, Anna Uraskova, Elena Karavaeva, and me.
> We will be looking forward to your feedback.
> The patch shall be applied to the REL_17_STABLE branch.

Most of these seem fine, but I need another read-through to digest them fully.
Just a few small comments:

- Specifies the builtin provider locale for the database default
- collation order and character classification, overriding the setting
- <xref linkend="create-database-locale"/>. The <link
+ Specifies the <literal>builtin</literal> provider locale for the database
+ default collation order and character classification, overriding the
+ setting <xref linkend="create-database-locale"/>. The <link
and
- Specifies the locale name when the builtin provider is used. Locale support
- is described in <xref linkend="locale"/>.
+ Specifies the locale name when the <literal>builtin</literal> provider
+ is used. Locale support is described in <xref linkend="locale"/>.

I don't think this use of "builtin" refers to the config value but rather the
type of locale, so I think it's correct to not use <literal> here.

- for not-null constraints at all, so they are not
+ for <literal>NOT NULL</literal> constraints at all, so they are not

This seems mostly to be a question of taste, I don't think not-null is
incorrect here.

--
Daniel Gustafsson