Re: UUID/GUID information

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: Postgres-PHP <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UUID/GUID information
Date: 2002-05-30 18:31:38
Lists: pgsql-php

on 5/30/02 12:05 PM, Busby(at)pnts(dot)com purportedly said:

> Dear List,
> I'm trying to migrate my MS-SQL(shit) to Postgre. My database
> depends on having a uniqueidentifier for all objects stored. (20 or so
> tables of these unique objects). In MS-SQL I can use this datatype called
> "uniqueidentifier" to accomplish this. What would be a similar solution in
> Postgre? I've looked on through the MAN pages and also scoured the net for
> this info...I don't necessarly need a UUID like the MS one but some unique
> way to identifiy each object.
>
> Thanks in advance for help

Postgres has what it calls an "OID". This is a unique identifier for every
object. If you choose to use this, be sure to read all the caveats relating
to external use of OIDs. For instance, if you re-create the database (say
from a backup or dump), the IODs will change. IIRC, you can control this by
dumping/restoring OIDs in the executables.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.