UUID/GUID information

From: David Busby <Busby(at)pnts(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: UUID/GUID information
Date: 2002-05-30 18:05:18
Lists: pgsql-php

Dear List,
I'm trying to migrate my MS-SQL(shit) to Postgre. My database
depends on having a uniqueidentifier for all objects stored. (20 or so
tables of these unique objects). In MS-SQL I can use this datatype called
"uniqueidentifier" to accomplish this. What would be a similar solution in
Postgre? I've looked on through the MAN pages and also scoured the net for
this info...I don't necessarly need a UUID like the MS one but some unique
way to identifiy each object.

Thanks in advance for help

/B