Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?
Date: 2023-10-04 13:10:21
Lists: pgsql-translators

> On 4 Oct 2023, at 11:10, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
>
> On 2023-Sep-28, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>
>> Could we group messages that have all-or-nothing translations required, like
>> --help output, with separate msgctxt contexts? So "pg_dump --help" would be
>> "msgctxt pg_dump_help_screen" in the po file, which then could be analyzed in
>> order to make the call for including translationfiles or not?
>
> This is an interesting idea. So for that kind of thing (help screens)
> we would require a very high percentage in order to include it with the
> bundle (say 90%), but it would be a very small catalog so easy to
> translate; and for other things, say the bulk of server messages, we
> would require a lesser percentage in order to be included (even 60%
> could be more than good enough IMO).
>
> I'm not sure how that would work, however.

Neither do I, I need to educate myself more on the translation infra and
process in order to have a better idea if it's at all feasible. I am
interested in making it easier to contribute a new translation, or reboot a
stale one, and lowering the overall requirement while keeping the requirement
high on the most relevant bits seem like a way forward.

--
Daniel Gustafsson