Re: Handling idle connections

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Rajesh Kumar <rajeshkumar(dot)dba09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Handling idle connections
Date: 2023-09-26 15:08:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

> I am assuming like tell them "check sessions are closed properly" like dat?

Don't open until needed, close when done. Assuming they're actually a problem--for smaller scale environments, it can be perfectly OK to have clients holding connections open for the entire client lifetime.

Set application name on connection, so that *if* there is a problem it's easier to track down.

> On Sep 26, 2023, at 8:55 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> You haven't answered my question. If "query" is truly blank and it is not just a permission problem, then the issue is not that they fail to close connections after use, but rather that they open connections and then never use them.

Which could easily be a matter of some pg library being used. As far as I see, there was also never an answer to whether this is actually a problem and if so, how?

And one more: if there is a problem, why not use pgbouncer?

We've given all the information we can about how to identify such connections. Any further help would depend on more info from Rajesh.