Odd syntax

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: "posgres support" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Odd syntax
Date: 2008-04-02 15:25:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

I noticed a couple of odd syntax issues today as I set up an SQL script.

1) The following does not work:

ALTER SEQUENCE somesequence OWNER TO xyz;

Instead you have to use:

ALTER TABLE somesequence OWNER TO xyz;

But if you drop a sequence the syntax is:

DROP SEQUENCE somesquence;

Is there a reason ALTER SEQUENCE could not have been used instead of
ALTER TABLE?

2) I also noticed I cannot create a sequence targeting a
particular tablespace. Example:

CREATE SEQUENCE somesequence

INCREMENT 1

MINVALUE 1

MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807

START 1

CACHE 1

TABLESPACE xyz;

Why is this? I thought that when you created a sequence you were in a
sense creating a special predefined table in the background.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs