Moving a tablespace

From: "Hyatt, Gordon" <Gordon(dot)Hyatt(at)joslin(dot)harvard(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Moving a tablespace
Date: 2008-04-02 19:05:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

I want to move an existing tablespace on an FC8 box. I read (at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/manage-ag-tablespaces.html)
that one can simply stop the server, update the symbolic link in
$PGDATA/pg_tblspc, start the server, then update the pg_tablespace
catalog to point to the new location.

Is this all there is to moving a tablespace? It seems too easy.

The tablespace I want to move is only around 1GB in size so dropping and
reloading during the next maintenance cycle is not that much of an
issue; although, I'd prefer not to.

Thanks in advance,

Gord