trouble with triggers

From: "Robert Treat" <robertt(at)auctionsolutions(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: trouble with triggers
Date: 2001-07-17 13:56:29
Lists: pgsql-general

[hopefully this isnt a repost, I seem to be haveing an issue getting message
through]

I am trying to use the following trigger:

CREATE TRIGGER formatname BEFORE update OR insert ON mytable FOR EACH row
EXECUTE PROCEDURE lower(name);

however, it gives me the message:

ERROR: CreateTrigger: function lower() does not exist

obviously this does exist, since I can do inserts/updates/selects using
lower(). I have also tried creating my own version of a lower function but
it gives me the same message.

Am I missing something? This seems like it should be pretty straightforward.
tia,

robert