Re: trouble with triggers

From: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Robert Treat" <robertt(at)auctionsolutions(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: trouble with triggers
Date: 2001-07-17 15:32:06
Lists: pgsql-general

From: "Robert Treat" <robertt(at)auctionsolutions(dot)com>

> CREATE TRIGGER formatname BEFORE update OR insert ON mytable FOR EACH row
> EXECUTE PROCEDURE lower(name);

> ERROR: CreateTrigger: function lower() does not exist
>
> obviously this does exist, since I can do inserts/updates/selects using
> lower(). I have also tried creating my own version of a lower function but
> it gives me the same message.
>
> Am I missing something? This seems like it should be pretty
straightforward.
> tia,

You need a special function for triggers. It needs to return "opaque" type
and not take any parameters (in this case). Inside your new function you
will have something like:

BEGIN
NEW.name := lower(NEW.name);
RETURN NEW;
END;

Since you need to use NEW and OLD to affect what is happening during your
updates.

See the manuals for an example or http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ for
several.

- Richard Huxton