Re: Sponsorship Page Language

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sponsorship Page Language
Date: 2013-01-11 16:08:15
Lists: pgsql-www

On Jan 11, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When looking at the sponsorship page
>> (http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors/) I noticed a few things regarding
>> the language that I've attempted to clean up with this patch.
>>
>> The first regards the ordering of the sponsors - they are ordered randomly,
>> not alphabetically, so I corrected the language up top.
>
> I would think a better option would be to fix the ordering so the page
> works as intended.

I discussed with Magnus off-list about that prior to submitting the page, he suggested to change the wording

>> The second has to do with the language on the bottom of the page discussing
>> the sponsorship levels and selection process. I reworded the sentences to
>> more clearly state the purpose of the sponsorship levels are and how they
>> are selected, maintaing a link to the guidelines on the wiki.
>
> The wording there was pretty carefully chosen after a long discussion
> in the sponsor committee, so it shouldn't be changed on a whim. That
> said, I don't actually think your wording is an improvement (though, I
> may be biased as if memory serves I wrote that's there now).

Typo aside in the original text, reading through it did not make sense:

"Sponsorship levels are meant to provide the general public an idea of how levels are determined."

From that I glean that sponsorship levels tell me how sponsorship levels are determined. Um...?

That said I understand that there was thought that went into the wording, particularly on the Wiki, thus I do not intend to throw everything out "on a whim," but that sentence is not clear at all.

I've included the patch with Thom's suggestions & fixes.

Jonathan