Are WALs affected by 'duplicate key' errors?

From: "Jeff Boes" <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Are WALs affected by 'duplicate key' errors?
Date: 2001-11-16 16:46:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

A grim suspicion begins to dawn on me ...

We have an application that attempts many insertions into a table,
detecting the prior existance of the row by whether we get a 'duplicate
key in unique index' error. When this application is running as multiple
copies and really cranking, we get 130K or more of these in a day. Are
these filling up (and possibly messing up) our WALs? We have experienced
a few shared-memory corruption errors, and a full-blown corruption
(although of a different table).

--
Jeff Boes vox 616.226.9550
Database Engineer fax 616.349.9076