Re: how to switch off: WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13

From: Ian Barwick <ian(dot)barwick(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Matthias Apitz <guru(at)unixarea(dot)de>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to switch off: WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13
Date: 2020-09-28 11:57:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2020/09/28 19:06, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Maybe it's a FAQ, but I haven't seen the answer. I want to switch of the
> warning (because I know the fact of version not matching):
>
> $ psql -Usisis -dsisis
> SET
> psql (11.4, server 13.0)
> WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
> Some psql features might not work.
> Type "help" for help.
>
> sisis=#
>
> I tried to do it with the ~/.psqlrc file:
>
> $ cat ~/.psqlrc
> SET client_min_messages = 'error'
>
> The command gets executed (as the 'SET' shows), but does not silent the
> warning.

This warning is generated as a printf() statement by psql itself and is
not affected by "client_min_messages" (which sets the level of error
messages to be returned from the server).

Looking at the source, there's no other way (apart from the -q/--quiet
option) to suppress this warning.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--