Re: Pgagent is not reading pgpass file either in Windows or Linux.

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: nageswara Bandla <nag(dot)bandla(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgagent is not reading pgpass file either in Windows or Linux.
Date: 2018-05-30 17:53:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/30/2018 08:48 AM, nageswara Bandla wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 6:15 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com <mailto:adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> On 05/29/2018 03:57 PM, nageswara Bandla wrote:
>
> #1. Windows:
>
> My guess because the LocalSystem user does not have permissions
> on your:
> %APPDATA%/postgresql/pgpass.co <http://pgpass.co>
> <http://pgpass.co>nf
> file. This seems to be confirmed by it working when you run
> pgagent as the login user.
> Also:
> passfile
>      Specifies the name of the file used to store passwords
> (see Section 33.15). Defaults to ~/.pgpass, or
> %APPDATA%\postgresql\pgpass.co <http://pgpass.co>
> <http://pgpass.co>nf on Microsoft Windows. (No error is reported
> if this file does not exist.)
>

> Does that mean we can not use pgagent (when installed)  as a
> "LocalSystem" service account and define PGPASSFILE to a valid
> accessible location. ?
>

> Not sure as I do not use Windows much and do not have a good handle
> on how it handles permissions. You might try raising an issue below
> to see if you can get some guidance:
>

> Thank you Adrian, let me also try to raise an issue there and see.
>

> I am running pgagent command from postgres system user account where
> .pgpass is setup.
>
> It’s definitely not a library issue. Since the same pgagent command that
> I gave earlier is working fine by  appending  “password=secret” at the
> end in pgagent command line.

That in of itself does not eliminate library issues as supplying the
password removes the need for libpq to search for a .pgpass or env
variable specifying the file or the password itself and that is where
pgagent seems to be having the problem. This is more of a comment for
future troubleshooting then the present as reducing the Postgres
versions to one eliminates library issues.