Re: AW: AW: BUG #18147: ERROR: invalid perminfoindex 0 in RTE with relid xxxxx

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Hans Buschmann <buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: AW: BUG #18147: ERROR: invalid perminfoindex 0 in RTE with relid xxxxx
Date: 2023-10-25 13:51:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 4:07 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I suspect that now this should just unconditionally clear
>> childrte->perminfoindex, but it's minor cleanup not a bug fix
>> so I didn't pursue that in the initial patch.

> Would you like me to apply something like the attached?

Diff looks fine, but I'm not sure that it's appropriate to characterize
the existing code as an oversight. It was a necessary hack while the
executor was behaving as it did (ie, using the first child as root).

>> * It seems like ModifyTable.nominalRelation and
>> ModifyTable.rootRelation are pretty darn redundant. Maybe we
>> should make an effort to get rid of one of them. Or maybe
>> it's not worth the trouble.

> We had a discussion on unifying the two before:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/12148.1538938507%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Ah, so we did. The "serve different masters" argument did re-occur
to me while I was looking at this yesterday, but I'm not sure how
strong it is really. Anyway, I'm also content to leave it be.