Fw: Google summer code idea

From: Бочечко Арсений <slua(at)ukr(dot)net>
To: pgsql-students(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fw: Google summer code idea
Date: 2013-04-24 11:28:58
Lists: pgsql-students

Hello, everybody!Introduction at first.

I am a student, attempting at magister degree in "applied math" in
Physical-Technical Institute of National Technical University of Ukraine
“Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”. (don't be confused by double "institute",
it a proper naming, although strange even for students).
When looking at the list of ideas suggested for google SoC I've found two
of them that I'd like to be a part of.
First one - is fixing small memory leaks in ecpg, which is a certain
variant, due to my experience with code digging, memory issues and memory
profilers. It's quite a routine, but good practice task.
Second one is optional, due to it isn't marked as [E] task, but it
strongly correlates with my knowledge. It is implementing a faster CRC32
algorithm. I've read both discussion threads about it, and still consider
myself probable of being involved in it.My confidence in this fact is due
to that fact that I am educated in algorithms estimation, codes, polynom
operations and performance tests.
And here is the brief road-maps for this ideas.
The first task consists of: * use profilers to identify automatically
tracable leaks (1w) * try to get rid of them (3w) * try to find some
complex leaks not found automatically (1w, just in case) * test the
changes (3w) * cleanup and documentation (2w)

Second task, if acceptable, consists of mainly research and testing
statistics for different variants and approaches. There also can be a
variant of early finishing idea with memory leaks cleanup, and
contributing into the CRC task.
with regards, Arsenii Bochechko