Re: http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html (fwd)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Elo <elo(at)is2inc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html (fwd)
Date: 2000-05-06 06:16:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I was browsing your compatibility listing and had a possibly odd
> question. I have Yellow Dog Linux installed on a Power Macintosh and
> wondered if PostgreSQL would work? Would it be as simple as a recompile
> on my platform, or would it be more complicated?

Since we list PPC mklinux and LinuxPPC as tested platforms, I don't see
any reason to think it wouldn't work. You might have to do a little
fooling around to cobble together a suitable OS configuration template
file, but I'd surely think it couldn't vary too much from the linux_ppc
template. Give it a try and let us know. We always like adding new
platforms to the support list ;-)

BTW, hackers: does anyone understand just how the spinlock support
works on PPC, SPARC, etc? For example, I see that include/port/linux.h
defines HAS_TEST_AND_SET for __powerpc__ or __sparc__, but that should
mean that there's a machine-specific tas() subroutine somewhere. All
I can find is code in backend/storage/buffer/s_lock.c that looks like
the right thing, but it's called tas_dummy() not tas()! How does
control get to it?