Re: Little cleanup of ShmemInit function names

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Little cleanup of ShmemInit function names
Date: 2024-08-28 15:26:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The attached patches rename them to follow the usual naming convention.
> The InitLocks() function is refactored a bit more, splitting the
> per-backend initialization to a separate InitLockManagerAccess()
> function. That's why it's in a separate commit.

I like the idea behind the patches. And they still apply and build.

The first patch is clean and well commented. I just have two minor nitpicks.

Small typo with the extra "which" which makes the sentence not flow
correctly

"This is called from CreateSharedMemoryAndSemaphores(), which see for
more comments."

On the topic of minor language issues I think the comma below is redundant.

"In the normal postmaster case, the shared hash tables are created here."

The second patch is a simple renaming which reduces mental load by
making the naming more consistent so I like it. Also since these
functions are not really useful for any extension authors I do not see
any harm in renaming them.

After cleaning up the language of that comment I think these patches can
be committed.

Andreas