Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes

From: Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alena Rybakina <a(dot)rybakina(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan(at)nataraj(dot)su>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>, teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes
Date: 2024-09-03 09:52:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 26/8/2024 12:41, Alena Rybakina wrote:
> On 26.08.2024 06:12, jian he wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 23, 2024 at 8:58 PM Alexander Korotkov<aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> + int indexnum; /* index of the matching index */
>> + int colnum; /* index of the matching column */
>>
>> I am not 100% sure about the comments.
>> indexnum: index of the matching index reside in rel->indexlist that
>> matches (counting from 0)
>> colnum: the column number of the matched index (counting from 0)
Hmm, it is not easy to invent an alternative variant. What are you
proposing exactly?

> If OR constants have different types, then they belong to different
> groups, and I think that's unfair. I think that conversion to a single
> type should be used here - while I’m working on this, I’ll send the code
> in the next letter.
IMO, that means additional overhead, isn't it? It is an improvement and
I suggest to discuss it in a separate thread if current feature will be
applied.

> And I noticed that there were some tests missing on this, so I added this.
>
> I've updated the patch file to include my and Jian's suggestions, as
> well as the diff file if there's no objection.
I doubt if you really need additional index on the tenk1 table. What is
the case you can't reproduce with current indexes, playing, let's say,
with casting to numeric and integer data types?
See in attachment minor fixes to the v38 version of the patch set.

--
regards, Andrei Lepikhov

Attachment Content-Type Size
minor-fix.no-cfbot text/plain 3.1 KB