Re: Utility database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Utility database
Date: 2005-06-18 05:43:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I like the first. The second and third seem less obvious to me.
> 'default_shared' should definitely get the point across, though it's a
> little long.

I think "shared" would give the wrong impression to many people ---
nowadays the connotation of that is something that you are exposing
to at least your local network, maybe the entire internet (think
"Windows shares"). I realize that the meaning you had in mind was
"shared among authorized users of this Postgres cluster", but I doubt
that implication will come through to very many newbies.