Re: Documentation building broken in CFBot

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Documentation building broken in CFBot
Date: 2020-11-28 20:30:11
Lists: pgsql-www

I wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> In any case, note that there is also documentation about this at
>> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/docguide-toolsets.html#DOCGUIDE-TOOLSETS-CONFIGURE>
>> that would need to be updated to the new behavior. I think the phrase
>> "If xmllint was not found then some of the following tests will be
>> skipped." could be removed, since it referred to the DocBook test about
>> to be removed.

> Right. That also seems like a good place to add a hint about setting
> XMLLINT to 'xmllint --nonet' if you don't want remote fetches to happen
> while building the docs. Shall we do that instead of applying the
> patch you posted earlier?

Concretely, maybe like the attached?

(Looking at this, I can't avoid the feeling that the programs are being
checked for in a completely random order. I'm tempted to rearrange
configure to probe xmllint, xsltproc, fop, dbtoepub in that order,
so it matches the proposed documentation.)

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
docbook-probe-removal-docs.patch text/x-diff 1.3 KB