Re: Documentation building broken in CFBot

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Documentation building broken in CFBot
Date: 2020-11-28 16:28:52
Lists: pgsql-www

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On 2020-11-27 18:53, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ah, I see there used to be more things in docbook.m4, so removing the
>> file altogether isn't feasible before v11. But we could still drop
>> the PGAC_CHECK_DOCBOOK macro, no? Even in the older branches, there
>> is nothing paying attention to have_docbook.

> Well, my point of having this as a mini test suite of the installation
> still applies there, especially since it uses the old tool set that is
> more difficult to install correctly. Those old tools have no network
> functionality, so there is really no configure speed to be gained. I
> would leave it alone.

Wow, has it really only been three years that configure has acted this
way? But anyway, after testing on a system that has opensp installed
but not docbook, I confirm that the DocBook test falls through quickly
pre-v11. Agreed then that we only need this change in 11 and up.

> In any case, note that there is also documentation about this at
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/docguide-toolsets.html#DOCGUIDE-TOOLSETS-CONFIGURE>
> that would need to be updated to the new behavior. I think the phrase
> "If xmllint was not found then some of the following tests will be
> skipped." could be removed, since it referred to the DocBook test about
> to be removed.

Right. That also seems like a good place to add a hint about setting
XMLLINT to 'xmllint --nonet' if you don't want remote fetches to happen
while building the docs. Shall we do that instead of applying the
patch you posted earlier?