Re: Basebackup fails without useful error message

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Koen De Groote <kdg(dot)dev(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Basebackup fails without useful error message
Date: 2024-10-20 21:12:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/20/24 14:03, Koen De Groote wrote:

> So I'm assuming the process of writing WAL files, if there is an
> archive_command set, is only considered to be finished after the archive
> is written, not just when the WAL file is written in pg_wal.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL

"It is important that the archive command return zero exit status if and
only if it succeeds. Upon getting a zero result, PostgreSQL will assume
that the file has been successfully archived, and will remove or recycle
it. However, a nonzero status tells PostgreSQL that the file was not
archived; it will try again periodically until it succeeds."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com