Re: reduce size of table partitioned

From: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reduce size of table partitioned
Date: 2024-01-27 14:00:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am 27.01.24 um 14:31 schrieb Erik Serrano:
> Dear All,
>
> Good morning, I have a small doubt regarding a partitioned table,
> which has its "mother" table and many "daughter" tables, well the main
> question is... I need to reduce the size of my partitioned table, I
> can simply delete ( drop table) the oldest daughter tables??? or it is
> not recommended....or maybe there is another method to do this??
>
> From already thank you very much
> Greetings
>
> /*
> */
> /*Erik R. Serrano Saavedra*/
> /*Ingeniero de Sistemas Informáticos*/
> /*      Data Base Administrator*/
> /*eserranos(at)gmail(dot)com
> */
> /*                 998596691*/
> /**/

see here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-partitioning.html#DDL-PARTITIONING-OVERVIEW

Dropping an individual partition using |DROP TABLE|, or doing |ALTER
TABLE DETACH PARTITION|, is far faster than a bulk operation. These
commands also entirely avoid the |VACUUM| overhead caused by a bulk
|DELETE|.

-- Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012