Re: Upgrade Ubuntu 22 -> 24 may break PostgreSQL

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade Ubuntu 22 -> 24 may break PostgreSQL
Date: 2024-09-01 16:22:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/31/24 11:02, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2024-08-31 10:35:01 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 8/31/24 09:54, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>>> 'Tis the season again.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu 24.04.1 has just been released, so many Ubuntu LTS users will now
>>> be prompted to upgrade from 22.04 to 24.04.
>>
>> Which I ignore.

> But I think our personal preferences are besides the point. Many people
> will upgrade Ubuntu in the next weeks or months. So I wanted to give
> them a heads-up that this might not be as smooth as expected.

Major updates rarely are. That is why I tend to look before I leap. One
way to make the leap easier is to change the Postgres repo from the
Ubuntu to the PGDG repo on the current Ubuntu version being run then do
the Ubuntu upgrade. The caveat being what the current version of
Ubuntu/Postgres is you are running and whether that Postgres version is
still supported in the main PGDG repo. Otherwise you are going to:

https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com