Re: Database Disappeared

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Roberts, Adam" <adam(dot)roberts(at)echostar(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Disappeared
Date: 2004-10-18 22:23:01
Lists: pgsql-general

"Roberts, Adam" <Adam(dot)Roberts(at)echostar(dot)com> writes:
> The following is a link to the last post we had with this same problem:
> http://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=185837

Given the comment about 500M pg_clog, I would venture that you aren't
doing adequate vacuuming and have therefore run into a transaction ID
wraparound failure. 500Mb clog corresponds to 2 billion transactions
which is right about where things would blow up if you'd not done the
necessary database-wide vacuums; and the fact that clog hasn't gotten
truncated is pretty strong evidence that you didn't.

Please read the administrator's guide:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/maintenance.html
(adjust for your PG version as needed)