Server load statistics

From: Torsten Bronger <bronger(at)physik(dot)rwth-aachen(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Server load statistics
Date: 2010-07-25 10:15:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hallöchen!

I need statistics about the PG server load. At the moment, I use
for this

SELECT tup_returned + tup_fetched + tup_inserted + tup_updated +
tup_deleted FROM pg_stat_database WHERE datname='mydb';

However, the figures are absurdly high (> 100.000 rows per second).
If a "row" is one dataset (one user account, one blog entry, one
comment etc), I expect two or three orders of magnitude less. Is my
SQL statement nevertheless a good way to measure how busy the server
is?

Tschö,
Torsten.

Jabber ID: torsten(dot)bronger(at)jabber(dot)rwth-aachen(dot)de
or http://bronger-jmp.appspot.com