Re: Experimental ARC implementation

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Experimental ARC implementation
Date: 2003-11-07 20:29:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I am not really aiming at removing sync() alltogether. We know already
> > that open,fsync,close does not guarantee you flush dirty OS-buffers for
> > which another process might so far only have done open,write. And you

So for what it's worth, though the spec seems to indicate fsync is only
guaranteed to sync writes to that file descriptor, in reality all known VFS's
do not associated dirty buffers with particular file descriptors.

At least I checked with people that NetBSD and Solaris do not. Both developers
said they were unaware of any OS that kept dirty buffers per-fd and couldn't
imagine anyone wanting to do that. It would be fairly easy to check Linux. All
the others out there are fairly closely related to either NetBSD or Solaris.

--
greg