Re: CLUSTER and indisclustered

From: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CLUSTER and indisclustered
Date: 2002-08-09 01:04:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com> writes:
> What if I [try to] extend the grammar to support an additional ANALYZE
> in CLUSTER, so that it analyzes the table automatically?

I don't like this -- it seems like bloat. What's the advantage of

CLUSTER foo ON bar ANALYZE;

over

CLUSTER foo ON bar;
ANALYZE;

> Or maybe just do an analyze of the table automatically after the
> CLUSTERing.

Hmmm... I don't really see the problem with adding a note in the docs
suggesting that users following a CLUSTER with an ANALYZE (of course,
that assumes that the CLUSTER will significantly change the ordering
of the data in the table, which isn't always the case -- which is
another reason why make this automatic seems unwarranted, IMHO). It
seems like you're looking for a solution to a non-existent problem.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC