Re: database on selected disk

From: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database on selected disk
Date: 2021-10-19 05:51:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am 18.10.21 um 19:04 schrieb Zahid Rahman:
> Hi
>
> I have two disks attached to my Raspberry pi 4 .
>
> One disk is a 2TB with a partition called postgres on /dev/sdb/sd1 .
> When creating databases this is where I wish to create them.
>
> This is not the disk with the operating system installed .
> If I install postgres with pgadmin using apt install,
> any database I create will be installed on disk /dev/sda/sda1 by default.
>
> Can you please give me a HOW-TO on choosing the partition on a
> particular disk when creating a database or perhaps even a table.
>
> Thanks
> Zahid

Hi Zahid,

when setting up a database cluster with initdb, you determine the
directory path for the cluster.

So make sure the directory path resides on the disk you want it to be.

What is also possible is using a symbolic link to redirect to another
directory on the intended disk.

On the other hand, it's not possible to have some databases of a cluster
on one drive and some on another. A database cluster cannot be
distributed among disks.

Since you can have any number of database clusters on a machine, this
doesn't impose a problem.

Regards,

Holger

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012