Re: recover corrupt DB?

From: Dan Armbrust <daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: recover corrupt DB?
Date: 2009-05-04 13:51:41
Lists: pgsql-general

> These reports seem to come up a bit, with disk full issues resulting in
> the need to pg_resetxlog, dump, and re-initdb, but I wouldn't be too
> shocked if they all turned out to be on xfs or something like that.

My particular disk-full condition was on ext2. Nothing exotic. Also,
the process that filled the disk was postgres - if that makes any
difference - I had left a debug level turned up in the postgres config
file, and it was logging every single db query. Since it wasn't set
up to remove old log files - it filled the disk.

Nothing else unusual occurred that I'm aware of - things went weird
for the lab tester, he cleared some space, rebooted the system, and
postgres didn't come back online.