Re: Local User Group List - Need Help!

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Local User Group List - Need Help!
Date: 2013-05-14 14:30:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On May 14, 2013, at 4:42 AM, damien clochard wrote:

> Le 14/05/2013 12:19, Dimitri Fontaine a écrit :
>> damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info> writes:
>>> Please note that the PostgreSQLFr association is the "french speaking"
>>> user group.
>>
>> Is that a user group at all?
>
> It depends on your definition of "PUG" :)
>
> If it's a group of PostgreSQL users doing things together to promote
> PostgreSQL, then I guess the PostgreSQLFr association can be treated as
> a PUG.

The page is to promote "local user groups" which would be groups primarily accessible in whatever locale they are. The aim is to drive a more active participating PostgreSQL community by enabling organic growth in particular regions and cities through meetups, activities, etc. Probably a good measure of local activity would be having at least one meetup or conference per year.

This where PG.FR is interesting - it straddles both being a local user group while having a more global reach based on a common language. With that said, I would recommend to leave the listing as is, until more local groups start up in France, but would add a listing to other countries that have a PG.FR representative there so people are aware that they could contact / join PG.FR for more a more localized community. That way we know that there are regional contacts across the space that PG.FR covers.

Best,

Jonathan