Re: pg_stat_progress_create_index vs. parallel index builds

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_progress_create_index vs. parallel index builds
Date: 2021-06-02 20:20:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/2/21 6:38 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Jun-02, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While experimenting with parallel index builds, I've noticed a somewhat
>> strange behavior of pg_stat_progress_create_index when a btree index is
>> built with parallel workers - some of the phases seem to be missing.
>
> Hmm, that's odd. I distinctly recall testing the behavior with parallel
> workers, and it is mentioned by Rahila in the original thread, and I
> think we tried to ensure that it was sane. I am surprised to learn that
> there's such a large gap.

Yeah, I quickly skimmed [1] which I think is the thread you're referring
to, and there is some discussion about parallel workers. I haven't read
it in detail, though.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20181220220022.mg63bhk26zdpvmcj%40alvherre.pgsql

> I'll go have a deeper look at the provided patch and try to get it
> backpatched.
>
> I think it would be valuable to have some kind of test mode where the
> progress reporting APIs would make some noise (perhaps with a bespoke
> GUC option) so that we can test things in some automated manner ...

True, but how would that GUC work? Would it add something into the
system view, or just log something?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra