Re: make world and install-world without docs

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make world and install-world without docs
Date: 2021-06-02 19:47:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/1/21 6:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> On 31.05.21 16:16, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> make SKIPDOCS=1 world
>>> make SKIPDOCS=1 install-world
>> Maybe this should be configure option? That's generally where you set
>> what you want to build or not build. (That might also make the
>> buildfarm integration easier, since there are already facilities to
>> specify and report configure options.)
> Hmm, I think I prefer Andrew's way. The fact that I don't want
> to build the docs right now doesn't mean I won't want to do so
> later --- in fact, that sequence is pretty exactly what I do
> whenever I'm working on a patch. It'd be annoying to have
> to re-configure to make that work.

Yes, agreed. If you don't like the SKIPDOCS=1 mechanism, let's just
invent a couple of new targets instead, say `world-bin` and
`install-world-bin`.

I'm inclined to agree with Alvaro that the messages are at best an
oddity. Standard Unix practice is to be silent on success.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan