Re: pgsql: Give a better error for duplicate entries in VACUUM/ANALYZE colu

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Give a better error for duplicate entries in VACUUM/ANALYZE colu
Date: 2017-09-25 20:50:53
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 9/25/17 15:09, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> On 9/21/17 18:13, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Give a better error for duplicate entries in VACUUM/ANALYZE column list.
>
>> In the error message, we should write "specified more than once" instead
>> of "specified twice", because that could otherwise look a bit silly:
>> VACUUM ANALYZE vaccluster(i,i,i);
>> ERROR: column "i" of relation "vaccluster" is specified twice
>
> OK.
>
>> (Also, the "is" doesn't seem to fit there.)
>
> Hm, reads fine to me, and I'd still rather include "is" in the
> revised wording. Anybody else agree with Peter's wording?

Note a big deal. I'm just working off existing error messages:

msgid "parameter \"%s\" specified more than once"
msgid "column name \"%s\" specified more than once"
msgid "column \"%s\" specified more than once"
msgid "filter variable \"%s\" specified more than once"
msgid "option \"%s\" provided more than once"
msgid "parameter name \"%s\" used more than once"
msgid "storage type specified more than once"
msgid "procedure number %d for (%s,%s) appears more than once"
msgid "operator number %d for (%s,%s) appears more than once"
msgid "publication name \"%s\" used more than once"
msgid "relation \"%s\" would be inherited from more than once"
msgid "column \"%s\" appears more than once in partition key"
msgid "column name \"%s\" appears more than once in USING clause"
msgid "common column name \"%s\" appears more than once in left table"
msgid "common column name \"%s\" appears more than once in right table"
msgid "WITH query name \"%s\" specified more than once"
msgid "recursive reference to query \"%s\" must not appear more than once"
msgid "XML attribute name \"%s\" appears more than once"
msgid "argument name \"%s\" used more than once"
msgid "table name \"%s\" specified more than once"