Re: Postgres 12.1 : UPPER() in WHERE clause restarts server

From: Marc <postgres(at)arcict(dot)com>
To: "Adrian Klaver" <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 12.1 : UPPER() in WHERE clause restarts server
Date: 2020-02-08 20:28:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian,

Everything was a clean install ( MacOS Mojave and Postgres )

Export and import were done with the latest version of PGAdmin.

Please advise if we can provide you with anything ( logging etc . . . )

Is there a possibility to downgrade to version 11 ?

We upgraded over the weekend because we experienced a crash on our
production server with “toast” issues as result.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

On 8 Feb 2020, at 21:16, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> On 2/8/20 12:09 PM, Nick Renders wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have just upgraded our Postgres 9.6 database to 12.1 (pg_dumpall
>> -> pg_restore on a clean installation) and now we are having some
>> issues with one of our tables.
>>
>> When we do the following statement:
>>
>>     SELECT * FROM f_gsxws_schedule WHERE UPPER(gwsc_dossier) =
>> 'TEST'
>>
>> the Postgres service restarts.
>>
>> It seems that using UPPER() in the WHERE clause is causing this. The
>> same statement without UPPER() works just fine.
>>
>> I have tried to emulate the issue with other tables, but
>> f_gsxws_schedule seems to be the only one.
>> The table also has another character field that is indexed, and the
>> same problem occurs there. Whenever we use UPPER() or LOWER() to do a
>> case-insensitive search, the service reboots.
>>
>> Looking at the table's definition, I don't see anything different
>> with the other tables.
>>
>> Here is what is logged:
>>

>> Has anyone noticed anything like this before? Any idea how to fix
>> this?
>
> Was the upgrade on the same machine?
>
> Or was the machine also upgraded/updated?
>
> I ask as there have been similar reports having to with changes in
> glibc version affecting collation.
>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Nick Renders
>>

> --