Re: PG_UPGRADE major issue

From: "Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ)" <Robert(dot)Burgholzer(at)deq(dot)virginia(dot)gov>
To: Marcos Cano <mcano(at)stsa(dot)info>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG_UPGRADE major issue
Date: 2013-06-20 17:01:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marcos,
This answer might be best put over on the postGIS listserv, but I will suggest a couple of strategies based on some differing assumptions and certainties.

One certainty - it seems that you absolutely have to have some form of PostGIS installed in order to perform the postgreSQL upgrade using pg_upgrade.
One variable - whether or not you will have to do the "hard upgrade" required by the postGIS version when doing the standard PostgreSQL upgrade. In other words -- is the postgreSQL upgrade essentially doing the same as the "hard upgrade"?
If YES - then install postgis 1.3.x on your 9.2.4 then use pg_upgrade, then do the pgis hard upgrade
If NO - install postgis 2.x on your 9.2.4 then use pg_upgrade

This is a very relevant case study, one that I myself will be going through very very shortly here so I am interested to follow your progress and assist in whatever way I might.

Regards,
r.b.