Re: Materialized views & dead tuples

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Materialized views & dead tuples
Date: 2024-06-19 07:27:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, 2024-06-18 at 15:28 -0700, Wells Oliver wrote:
> Apologies for the daft question, but I am surprised to see materialized views
> show up in pg_stat_user_tables with lots of dead tuples. These are rematerialized
> nightly and, I thought, this had the effect of replacing/recreating them anew.
> Can someone shed some light on this?

It makes a difference if you use REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW or
REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW CONCURRENTLY.

The first statement will just discard the materialized table and create it anew,
and you will never see a dead tuple.
The second statement executes the query and updates the materialized table, which
can lead to dead tuples just like a normal UPDATE or DELETE.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe