Re: I can't seem to put the right combination of magic into the pg_hba and pg_ident files.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I can't seem to put the right combination of magic into the pg_hba and pg_ident files.
Date: 2009-11-09 02:27:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I want to accomplish what I would think would be a simple thing. I
> want the root user to be able to connect to the postgres database as
> user postgres from the local machine without passwords. Since I am
> doing this from a program I don't want to use the su facility.

I suspect you are expecting that the map will cause root to be
logged in as postgres without asking for that. It won't.
What it will do is allow "psql -U postgres" and similar to work.

BTW, one has to wonder why you are using the root account for this
work in the first place. Wouldn't it be a lot more secure to use
a less privileged account (oh, I don't know, maybe postgres)?