Re: Reordering columns in a table

From: Ian Harding <harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reordering columns in a table
Date: 2006-01-07 03:34:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

As I recall, the MS SQL Server draggy droppy diagrammer tool made it
seem trivial to rearrange columns did the same thing. It just
generated SQL statements to:

Begin transaction
select data in new order into a new table
drop dependent objects
drop old table
rename new table
re-create dependent objects
end transaction

It seemed kinda squirrelly to me, but it worked most of the time since
MSSQL Server had a good dependency tracking thingie. However, I would
not really call it a feature of the DBMS. I would call it a bolted on
utility.