Re: Why mention to Oracle ?

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me>
To: Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why mention to Oracle ?
Date: 2024-09-20 18:11:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/20/24 19:48, Marcos Pegoraro wrote:
> Em sex., 20 de set. de 2024 às 13:18, David G. Johnston
> <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>> escreveu:
>
> It would be a boon to the community if someone were to put together
> a web/wiki page or mini-app that details this kind of information
> and, if considered accurate and relevant enough by the community,
> link to that more globally while also remove the random and
> incomplete references of this nature from the main documentation.
> As it stands the info is at least relevant, and its incompleteness
> doesn't cause enough grief, IMO, to warrant its outright removal
> absent there existing an alternative.
>

> Oracle DOCs or MySQL DOCs or any other have these comparisons ? I don't
> think so, so why does Postgres have to mention it ?

I fail to see why would "entity X does not do A" be a good reason to not
do A ourselves. Commercial companies may have their own reasons not to
mention competing products, and few of those will likely apply to our
project. And maybe they're wrong to not do that, not us.

> All these places, and others I didn't find, I think it's correct to say
> Postgres' way of doing that, not what is different from Oracle.

IMHO it's quite reasonable to say "we do X, but this other product
(which is what we try to mimic) does Y".

regards

--
Tomas Vondra