Re: Foreign Data Wrappers

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Gus Spier <gus(dot)spier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Foreign Data Wrappers
Date: 2024-09-07 01:29:42
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Sep 6, 2024, at 17:55, Gus Spier <gus(dot)spier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> If I understand the concepts correctly, FDW not only makes other databases available, FDW also offers access to .csv files, plain text, or just about anything that can be bullied into some kind of query-able order.

There two parts to FDWs: The code in the PostgreSQL core, and the FDW extension that is specific to type of the remote data source. It's up to the plug-in to translate the remote data source into a format that appears as a foreign table, so the specifics of how the remote data source are mapped to the table depend on the plug-ins implementation. You need to install the FDW extension in the PostgreSQL instance as you do with any extension. There are a lot of different plug-ins, of varying degrees to maintenance, out in the ecosystem. They definitely exist for Redis; I'm not sure about Elasticache.