Error when trying to use a FOR loop

From: "Kevin Nikiforuk" <Kevin(dot)Nikiforuk(at)Acrodex(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error when trying to use a FOR loop
Date: 2006-07-20 13:46:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

Sorry if this is in the archives, but I've done a search and couldn't find anything relevant. I'm running HP's precompiled version of 8.1.3.1 as part of their Internet Express offering, and I can't seem to run a for loop. Here's what I'm seeing:

xp512-0715-0716=# FOR LV in 1..10 LOOP

xp512-0715-0716-# select * from ldevrg;

ERROR: syntax error at or near "FOR" at character 1

LINE 1: FOR LV in 1..10 LOOP

^

I'm still pretty new to postgres, but based on the documentation I'm not picking up what I'm doing wrong.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin