Re: Giving more detail in pg_upgrade errormessage

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Giving more detail in pg_upgrade errormessage
Date: 2023-07-19 20:26:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 18 Jul 2023, at 18:04, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
>> Looking at the upgrade question in [0] made me realize that we discard
>> potentially useful information for troubleshooting. When we check if the
>> cluster is properly shut down we might as well include the status from
>> pg_controldata in the errormessage as per the trivial (but yet untested)
>> proposed diff.
>
>> Is there a reason not to be verbose here as users might copy/paste this output
>> when asking for help?
>
> Agreed, but I think you need to chomp the string's trailing newline,
> or it'll look ugly. You might as well do that further up and remove
> the newlines from the comparison strings, too.

Yeah, the previous diff was mostly a sketch. The attached strips newline and
makes the comparisons a bit neater in the process due to that. Will apply this
trivial but seemingly useful change unless objected to.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-pg_upgrade-include-additional-detail-in-cluster-c.patch application/octet-stream 2.1 KB