Re: Relative security of Community repos and packages

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: pbj(at)cmicdo(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Relative security of Community repos and packages
Date: 2021-07-28 20:24:59
Lists: pgsql-www

> On Jul 28, 2021, at 11:26, pbj(at)cmicdo(dot)com wrote:
> Currently involved in a discussion about security of Postgres packages from various sources. I'm strongly advocating that we get our packages directly from PGDG.
>
> Would Postgres packages from Red Hat repos (and I guess we could include EDB, 2nd Quadrant, Crunchy...) be considered more secure from being hacked than those from the PGDG repos?

While I have nothing bad to say about the other repo sources, every other repo (AFAIK) pulls from the community repos, so there's no reason that they would be *more* security than the community sources. The Infra team takes build chain and hosting security very seriously, and I would say that you are as safe with the community repos as you would be with any other source.