Re: Enable data checksums by default

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enable data checksums by default
Date: 2024-08-23 13:17:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08.08.24 19:19, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> Thank you for the feedback. Please find attached three separate patches.
> One to add a new flag to initdb (--no-data-checksums), one to adjust the
> tests to use this flag as needed, and the final to make the actual
> switch of the default value (along with tests and docs).

I think we can get started with the initdb --no-data-checksums option.

The 0001 patch is missing documentation and --help output for this
option. Also, some of the tests for the option that are in patch 0003
might be better in patch 0001.

Separately, this

- may incur a noticeable performance penalty. If set, checksums
+ may incur a small performance penalty. If set, checksums

should perhaps be committed separately. I don't think the patch 0003
really changes the performance penalty. ;-)