tcp_keepalives_idle ignored

From: "henry" <henry(at)zen(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: tcp_keepalives_idle ignored
Date: 2008-01-12 06:54:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

PG: 8.2.4

We have a very busy setup using multiple clusters, slony, etc. My problem
relates to the number of postgres procs increasing, and not decreasing
when idle. I eventually end up with thousands of idle processes listening
on /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 and not quitting (eventually bumping into
max_connections).

I have tried setting tcp_keepalives_idle = 120 (eg), then restarting PG,
but SHOW ALL; shows tcp_keepalives_idle=0 (ignoring my setting).

I have even tried setting setting /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
directly, but the idle procs just keep increasing in number.

tcp_keepalives_interval and tcp_keepalives_count I have left on default.
After a few hours worth of running, theres a few thousand idle postgres
procs, and they're all idle...

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks
Henry