Re: Add new option 'all' to pg_stat_reset_shared()

From: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add new option 'all' to pg_stat_reset_shared()
Date: 2023-11-09 01:10:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-11-09 08:58, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2023 at 02:15:24PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 9:43 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
>> wrote:
>>> It's not like oids are a precious resource. It's a more confusing API
>>> to have
>>> to have to specify a NULL as an argument than not having to do so. If
>>> we
>>> really want to avoid a separate oid, a more sensible path would be to
>>> add a
>>> default argument to pg_stat_reset_slru() (by doing a CREATE OR
>>> REPLACE in
>>> system_functions.sql).
>>
>> +1. Attached the patch.
>>
>> -- Test that multiple SLRUs are reset when no specific SLRU provided
>> to reset function
>> -SELECT pg_stat_reset_slru(NULL);
>> +SELECT pg_stat_reset_slru();
>
> For the SLRU part, why not.
>
> Hmm. What's the final plan for pg_stat_reset_shared(), then? An
> equivalent that calls a series of pgstat_reset_of_kind()?

Sorry for late reply and thanks for the feedbacks everyone.

As your 1st suggestion, I think "calls a series of
pgstat_reset_of_kind()" would be enough.

I am a little concerned about that the reset time is not the same and
that GetCurrentTimestamp() is called multiple times, but I think it
would be acceptable because the function is probably not used that often
and the reset time is not atomic in practice.

I'll attach the patch.

--
Regards,

--